Saturday, August 27, 2005

Red House Painters


The last few days I've been listening to Red House Painters, which is a band whose last record was released by SubPop Records. I first heard them a couple years ago, when their song "Cruiser" was being played regularly on SubPop Radio. Then a few weeks ago, I was listening to the Garden State soundtrack, which is quite nice background music for painting (walls, not art.) Anyway, while listening to that, I became interested in the track "Such Great Heights," by Iron and Wine. So that led me to SubPop, where I re-encountered Red House Painters. After a quick trip to iTunes, I was downloading their album "Songs for a Blue Guitar" (released on Universal/Island), which is great painting and driving music. Mellow, sort of Mazzy Star meets the quieter Elliot Smith.

So anyway, you can hear samples of the album here: Red House Painters on Amazon.comand Mark Kozelek's current band, Sun Kil Moon, as well: Sun Kil Moon on Amazon.com

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Krichopi said...

i really like red house painters. i first heard them as background, and was intrigued by the fantasmic guitar playing. to me they are not background anymore. they are at the forefront of my present musical likes. keep it up. thats what i say.